10 Most Often Misdiagnosed Kids Ailments by Parents
March 27, 2012 | in Nannies
One of the roles we play as parents on occasion is that of family physician. Recognizing and treating minor ailments and then deciding whether a doctor visit might be in order is all in a day’s work for most moms and dads. That’s not to say our diagnoses are always right; we do get it wrong on occasion too, and here are some common illnesses and ailments that trip us up. The following is a list of the 10 most misdiagnosed kids’ ailments by parents:
- ADHD – Parents will often interpret the signs of this disease as being indicative of a disruptive or unruly child. It is necessary to conduct testing to ascertain that the child is indeed suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Asperger’s Syndrome – Parents of children with Asperger’s Syndrome will frequently confuse the symptoms with autism. Naturally, either case requires a professional diagnosis, but initial tendency is for parents to lean towards their child having autism unless proven otherwise.
- Bacterial Meningitis – Sharing many of the same symptoms of the flu such as fever and headaches, bacterial meningitis is often mistaken for the more common flu. Light sensitivity, seizures and skin rashes may also accompany those symptoms.
- Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD) –This illness is characterized by sudden, abnormal narrowing of the vocal cords, which results in obstructed airflow and a wheezing sound during breathing. This is frequently misdiagnosed by parents and doctors alike as asthma.
- Food Allergies – Because reactions can vary so widely, depending on the types of allergy and food, children with food allergies are frequently misdiagnosed with other ailments. It can be difficult at first to narrow down the cause to a specific food group.
- Vomiting – As a general symptom with so many possible causes, parents cannot be certain what their child is ailing from without additional information or an examination. It could be caused by anything from upset stomach to colic, to intestinal malrotation.
- Psoriasis – This condition can cause skin to break out in a rash on the patient, and as such is often misdiagnosed initially as simple acne. Particularly because acne is such a common issue among children, it’s so often considered the cause of this skin reaction before something like psoriasis is considered.
- Mononucleosis – Mono infections typically are accompanied by flu-like symptoms. Parents often assume that to be the culprit prior to a doctor examination. Mononucleosis is usually caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV).
- Common Cold – There’s a reason it’s called the common cold, and children will suffer from a cold quite readily. Also, colds can last for a long time, so other possible causes aren’t generally considered right away.
- Mental Illness – Children can be rambunctious, ornery, ill-tempered or very difficult naturally, and for any number of reasons – from soiled diapers to just plain crankiness. So it’s not uncommon for children who habitually exhibit these traits to be misdiagnosed before more serious root causes are considered.
Comments are closed.
DIY & Sign up Online
We have partnered with eNannySource to help you search for the perfect nanny in your area in addition to our other services.
Enter your zipcode to get started:
- How to Calm Back to School Jitters
- What to Include in Your Nanny’s Annual Review
- 25 Blogs Featuring the Most Inspiring Parenting Stories
- Crazy Things Kids Say About Old People
- 21 Blogs with Insightful Tips for Helping Kids Through a Move
- Is Lying to Your Kids About the Tooth Fairy Wrong?
- 21 Blogs Making Fun Homemade Mixtures for the Kids to Get Their Hands Into
- 10 of the Most Hated Cartoon Characters by Moms of All Time
- How to Hide Electrical Wires from Computers, TVs and Small Appliances
- 30 Blogs with the Best Tips on Helping Your Child Prepare for Standardized Testing
National Nannies History
- Pillow Agreement Definition
- Retroactive Caregiver Agreement
- What Is Condition and Warranty in Contract Law
- Shared Ownership Contract Template
- How to Start Labour Contract Business
- Prenuptial Agreement in Bengali
- State of Nj Installment Agreement
- When Does an Agreement Become Unconditional
- Illinois Contract Law Impossibility of Performance
- Service Agreement Francais
- Group Contains a Subject and a Verb in Agreement
- Tenant Commercial Lease Agreement
- Indigo Card Agreement
- Home Improvement Contractors License Louisiana
- The Contracts Rights of Third Parties Act 1999 Shall Not Apply to This Agreement
- Taliban Agreement Text
- 6 Months or 12 Months Tenancy Agreement
- Property Management Agreements Should Include the following except
- Agent Contracting with Humana
- Nrcan Collective Agreement