Group Contains a Subject and a Verb in Agreement
May 19, 2023 | in Uncategorized
If you`re a writer or editor, you`ve likely heard the phrase “subject-verb agreement” before. This rule is simple enough on its own, but what about when a group is involved? Let`s take a closer look at what it means when a group contains a subject and a verb in agreement.
First, let`s review the basic rule of subject-verb agreement. In any sentence, the subject (the person, place, thing, or idea being discussed) must agree with the verb (the action being taken or state of being) in number. In other words, if the subject is singular, the verb must also be singular, and if the subject is plural, the verb must be plural as well.
– The cat chases the mouse. (singular subject and verb)
– The cats chase the mice. (plural subject and verb)
So, what happens when we introduce a group into the mix? When a group is the subject of a sentence, there are a few key things to keep in mind:
1. The verb must agree with the subject in number.
This means that if the group is singular, the verb must be singular too, and if the group is plural, the verb must be plural as well.
– The team is practicing for the game. (singular subject and verb)
– The players are practicing for the game. (plural subject and verb)
2. The form of the group matters.
When referring to a group, it`s important to use the correct form of the noun. For instance, if the group is made up of people, you would use “people” as the plural noun instead of “person.”
– The family is going on vacation. (singular subject and verb)
– The families are going on vacation. (plural subject and verb)
3. Pronouns can be tricky.
When replacing the name of a group with a pronoun, make sure you choose the correct pronoun form based on the number of the group. For example, if the group is singular, use “it” instead of “they.”
– The committee is meeting next week. It will discuss the budget. (singular subject and singular pronoun)
– The committees are meeting next week. They will discuss their budgets. (plural subject and plural pronoun)
In conclusion, subject-verb agreement is an important rule to follow in any sentence, whether the subject is singular or plural. When dealing with a group, remember to use the correct form of the noun and pronoun, and ensure that the verb agrees with the subject in number. By following these guidelines, you can produce clear, grammatically correct writing that is easy to read and understand.← Tenant Commercial Lease Agreement | Service Agreement Francais →
Comments are closed.
DIY & Sign up Online
We have partnered with eNannySource to help you search for the perfect nanny in your area in addition to our other services.
Enter your zipcode to get started:
- Pillow Agreement Definition
- Retroactive Caregiver Agreement
- What Is Condition and Warranty in Contract Law
- Shared Ownership Contract Template
- How to Start Labour Contract Business
- Prenuptial Agreement in Bengali
- State of Nj Installment Agreement
- When Does an Agreement Become Unconditional
- Illinois Contract Law Impossibility of Performance
- Service Agreement Francais
National Nannies History
- September 2023
- August 2023
- July 2023
- June 2023
- May 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- February 2019
- December 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- April 2018