10 Lessons Kids Can Learn From Owl
In the classic Winnie the Pooh children’s book series by A.A. Milne, Owl is one of the residents of Hundred Acre Wood and a good friend of Christopher Robin. He of course is considered the “wise” one of the community of animal friends. His wisdom isn’t always on the mark, or even solicited, but Owl is more than happy to provide it anyway. In imparting his wisdom to friends, Owl also provides some worthwhile lessons for children. Here are ten examples:
- Being wise doesn’t mean you know everything. Owl knows his oats about many things, but he gets it wrong sometimes too. For instance, he’s not that much of a speller. Kids can learn the value of a well-rounded education from Owl’s example.
- Even smart people need to rely on others. No one is right all the time, or has all the answers. Owl needs his friends to help him and point out errors on occasion, just like everyone else. This is an important lesson in teamwork and support.
- Teachers are an essential part of our education. As wise statesman of Hundred Acre Wood, Owl represents a teacher in many ways, always offering explanations and observation. Kids can discover the importance of having such people in their lives who can instruct them.
- Advice isn’t always welcome. Sometimes people share their opinions with you even when you don’t want them to. Here, a child can learn how to know when to get involved, and when to leave someone alone, and how to communicate this to others as well.
- Strong family ties provide firm roots. Owl loves sharing stories about his relatives. His strong sense of family heritage and obvious love of his kin help mold who he is. Kids can learn about their own families, and thereby discover more about their own roots.
- Spelling is essential to good communication. We mentioned that Owl doesn’t get high marks for his spelling, though he does compensate for it in other areas. Still, kids can learn that the ability to spell is very important.
- Reading comprehension is important too. Owl’s less-than-stellar reading ability leads him to misinterpret a note left by Christopher Robin. He believes Christopher has been abducted by a dreaded creature called the “Backson”, when the note really said that Chris would be “back soon”.
- When speaking, it helps to make your point clearly. Owl tends to ramble at times, and loses his listeners who quickly tire of his long, drawn-out tales. Kids can learn that they will be better understood and can expect better results when they speak clearly and concisely.
- There’s a time for words, and there’s a time for action. Owl has trouble with this point too, on occasion. He once almost got Piglet and himself swept over a waterfall by launching into a rather ill-timed bit of story-telling.
- A good friend is a good listener. Offering advice to a friend is good and kind thing to do; but it’s equally important to be a good listener, perhaps more so. We can’t help someone if we don’t listen carefully to what they have to share; and many times, all that someone wants is a sympathetic ear.
DIY & Sign up Online
We have partnered with eNannySource to help you search for the perfect nanny in your area in addition to our other services.
Enter your zipcode to get started:
- How to Calm Back to School Jitters
- What to Include in Your Nanny’s Annual Review
- 25 Blogs Featuring the Most Inspiring Parenting Stories
- Crazy Things Kids Say About Old People
- 21 Blogs with Insightful Tips for Helping Kids Through a Move
- Is Lying to Your Kids About the Tooth Fairy Wrong?
- 21 Blogs Making Fun Homemade Mixtures for the Kids to Get Their Hands Into
- 10 of the Most Hated Cartoon Characters by Moms of All Time
- How to Hide Electrical Wires from Computers, TVs and Small Appliances
- 30 Blogs with the Best Tips on Helping Your Child Prepare for Standardized Testing
National Nannies History
- Modele telefoane nokia cu tastatura
- Modele redwork gratuit
- Modele ongle nail art 2017
- Modele lettre demande de congé cif
- Modele itemi ghergut
- Modele facture auto entrepreneur gratuit excel
- Modele de zugraveli in 2 culori
- Modele de radiateur
- Modele de minnie
- Modele de lettre fermeture pel
- Modele de demande manuscrite pour participation a un concours
- Modele de contrat d`entretien chaudiere gaz
- Modele de bonnet
- Modele cantash te vogla
- Modèles emboités définition
- Modèle pour métier à tisser
- Modèle lettre de résiliation curves
- Modèle gratuit de contrat de prêt à un salarié
- Modèle de voiture opel
- Modèle de repertoire téléphonique