10 Lessons Kids Can Learn from Foghorn Leghorn
Foghorn J. Leghorn is one of the classic Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoon characters. This big leghorn rooster with the Southern accent loves to harass Barnyard Dog, and instruct Henery Hawk in the art of chicken hawking. That is, once he’s convinced young Henery that the dog, and not Foghorn, is the prized chicken he seeks. Let’s take a look at some lessons that children may learn from old Foghorn:
- Know your limitations. Foghorn likes to sneak up on Barnyard Dog and slap him with a wooden board. If he’s not careful to stay outside the limits of the dog’s chain, he’s in big trouble. Kids can learn about safety and playing within set boundaries.
- It’s only a cartoon. When Foghorn gets blown up by one of those sticks of dynamite or a fuse bomb and loses all his feathers, we can talk to our kids about the evil of violence and the real-life damage that it does. Also …
- It pays to be prepared. When he does lose his feathers, Foghorn likes to point out that, “Fortunately, I say fortunately, I keep mah feathuhs numbered, for just such an emergency.” This is a good lesson in being prepared for emergencies.
- The importance of mentoring. Henery Hawk doesn’t have a dad to help him work out how to become a full-fledged chicken hawk. Foghorn Leghorn is only too happy to play that role, and show Henery how to go about catching himself a chicken. Here is a lesson in being a role model.
- The role of a Dad in the home. Every now and then, Foghorn takes young Egghead Jr. under his wing. It’s usually motivated by his romantic interest in Jr.’s mom, Miss Prissy. Still, it’s a good opportunity to talk with your child about the role that dads play in a family.
- Keeping a positive attitude. Foghorn enjoys life. While he’s quite a prankster, he does get the most out of everything he does, often humming the tune “Camptown Races” while he’s going about his business. Use a sing-along to teach kids how to keep a positive outlook while they are doing chores, for instance.
- A time for work and a time for play. As we mentioned, Foghorn really loves to play pranks on Barnyard Dog. He often takes it too far, though, and doesn’t focus much on his other duties. This is a good point for kids to learn about balancing play with homework or chores.
- Play safely so that no one gets hurt. As with other animated series of that period, Looney Tunes characters were introduced to a largely adult audience through the medium of movie theaters. The humor at times could be viewed by some as too violent for kids. It’s an opportunity to talk with them about playing safely (ie no matches, fireworks, electricity, etc.).
- It’s wrong to be deceitful. In teaching Henery Hawk how to become an effective chicken hawk, Foghorn’s first strategy is to convince Henery that he’s not a chicken (rooster), in order to keep Henery from chasing him. So he fibs, and tells Henery that Barnyard Dog is the “real” chicken. Lying about it always comes back to bite Foghorn. A lesson in honesty and integrity.
- Folksy wisdom gets the message across. Foghorn leghorn’s down-home laconic style of speech has a way of conveying a thought that sticks with a person. Such observations as, “She remi – I say, she reminds me of Paul Revere’s ride, a little light in the belfry,” drive home the point in a memorable way. Kids can learn a thing or two about effective communication from this bellicose rooster.
DIY & Sign up Online
We have partnered with eNannySource to help you search for the perfect nanny in your area in addition to our other services.
Enter your zipcode to get started:
- How to Calm Back to School Jitters
- What to Include in Your Nanny’s Annual Review
- 25 Blogs Featuring the Most Inspiring Parenting Stories
- Crazy Things Kids Say About Old People
- 21 Blogs with Insightful Tips for Helping Kids Through a Move
- Is Lying to Your Kids About the Tooth Fairy Wrong?
- 21 Blogs Making Fun Homemade Mixtures for the Kids to Get Their Hands Into
- 10 of the Most Hated Cartoon Characters by Moms of All Time
- How to Hide Electrical Wires from Computers, TVs and Small Appliances
- 30 Blogs with the Best Tips on Helping Your Child Prepare for Standardized Testing
National Nannies History
- Pillow Agreement Definition
- Retroactive Caregiver Agreement
- What Is Condition and Warranty in Contract Law
- Shared Ownership Contract Template
- How to Start Labour Contract Business
- Prenuptial Agreement in Bengali
- State of Nj Installment Agreement
- When Does an Agreement Become Unconditional
- Illinois Contract Law Impossibility of Performance
- Service Agreement Francais
- Group Contains a Subject and a Verb in Agreement
- Tenant Commercial Lease Agreement
- Indigo Card Agreement
- Home Improvement Contractors License Louisiana
- The Contracts Rights of Third Parties Act 1999 Shall Not Apply to This Agreement
- Taliban Agreement Text
- 6 Months or 12 Months Tenancy Agreement
- Property Management Agreements Should Include the following except
- Agent Contracting with Humana
- Nrcan Collective Agreement